Most people find it hard to differentiate Network Attached Storage from Storage Area Network and Direct Attached Storage. Well, after reading our article you will find everything simple. Having the Best Network Attached Storage guarantees various advantages. Network Attached Storage is a flexible computing device attached pretty anywhere in a network with the aim of storing files. It connects to IP network and allows the users to access the files via Microsoft based Common Internet File System. Furthermore, it has its IP address. Therefore, users access the files directly. Also, it uses various disks to store data.
What is Direct Attached Storage?
After presenting the above, we found it necessary to explain the meaning of Direct Attached Storage. Well, Direct Attached Storage are all forms of storage mostly used by individual computers. They include USB disks, hard disks, flash drives and DVD. In comparison to Network Attached Storage, they are the cheapest and accessible form of storage. The only drawback is the fact that Direct attached storage have limited storage capacity and cannot support multi-user applications.
What is Storage Area Network?
Like Direct Attached Storage and Network Attached Storage, Storage Area Network is also a form of storage. Contrary, it is a separate network that makes use of specific protocols. They also use particular SAN Controllers, SAN Switches HBA adapters and disk to store a given data. Their unique design makes it suitable for large businesses, large data centers, and enterprises. Also, the system stores data in blocks to enable application of storage optimization techniques at ease.
Reasons why NAS are suitable for Small Business
- Easy to operate. No need of hiring a professional IT person.
- One of the cheapest way to store data.
- Comes with installed backup software. This is critical as it guarantees the users against data loss.
- Best at centralizing data storage in the most reliable and safe way.
Outside there in the market, there exist various Network Attached Storage. For this reason, most users find it hard to choose the best out of those available. Our 36-hour research yields the Top 10 Best Network Attached Storage in 2019 Reviews.
- 10.WD 8TB My Cloud EX4100 Expert Series 4-Bay Network Attached Storage
- 9.Noontec Terra Master F4-220 Network RAID Storage
- 8.WD 4TB, My Cloud Personal Network, Attached Storage
- 7.WD 3TB, My Cloud Personal Network, Attached Storage
- 6.Drobo 5N 10TB Network Attached Storage
- 5.NETGEAR Ready 212 2-Bay Network Attached Storage
- 4.WD My Cloud EX4100 Disk less Expert Series 4-Bay Network Attached Storage
- 3.Buffalo Link Station 220 2 TB 2-Drive Network-Attached Storage
- 2.FreeNAS Mini Network Attached Storage
- 1.Synology DS216J 8-Terabyte Network Attached Storage
- Buyer’s Guide
10.WD 8TB My Cloud EX4100 Expert Series 4-Bay Network Attached Storage
The need to have central storage is one of the reasons why people invest on the Best Network Attached Storage. WD firm presents to the customers an excellent 8TB My Cloud EX4100 Expert Series 4-Bay Network Attached Storage. It features sophisticated 1.6 GHz Marvell ARMADA processor and 2 GB DDR3 storage memory. With this device, the user is sure to experience faster retrieval of data. You can connect to a tablet, smartphone among other computing devices. Additionally, this device comes with wide range of backup options. They include local, cloud and network backup. Besides high performance, this NAS features Smooth HD streaming. Excellent data security and protection attracts most of its customers. On the other hand, Milestone ARCUS surveillance ensures reliable functionality.
- Features many backup options.
- Reliable Marvell ARMADA processor.
- Relatively expensive but does what is expected.
9.Noontec Terra Master F4-220 Network RAID Storage
Noontec Terra Master offers another Best Network Attached Storage. Small businesses and enterprises have opted for this device for its great performance and reliability. With the growing technology, the company incorporates modern TOS 3 operation system and adopts Intel Celeron 2.41GHz dual-core processor. On the other hand, the device has 2GB RAM. Nevertheless, the customers are eligible to upgrade it to 4GB as they wish. Unlike other NAS, with this device, you can perform several tasks at a go without any form of malfunction. For those who need faster NAS, this is the best choice for you. It transfers file at higher speed more than 100MB per second. Finally, it adopts the use of 4 hard drives, summing to a total of 40TB capacity.
- Supports a diversity of hard drives.
- Efficient data file transfer speed.
- Need a lot of care for it last for many.
8.WD 4TB, My Cloud Personal Network, Attached Storage
Network Attached Storage devices are not just for local access. Well, Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 allows faster remote transfer of files. Work best with Mac and Window computers. The package includes Ethernet cable, Quick Install Guide, Personal cloud storage and an AC adapter. If you were to buy this device separately, they would cost a lot. DLNA 1.5 and UPnP Certified, therefore, there is little to doubt about this device. This unique device all customers to save all file in one place and retrieve anytime. Am sure you will receive the excellent security that this NAS provides.
- Comes with installation guide.
- Something should be done on the storage capacity.
7.WD 3TB, My Cloud Personal Network, Attached Storage
Have you kept the files somewhere only to find them missing after sometimes, how did feel? Bad. If that is so, it is high time you invest on the Best Network Attached Storage. WD 3TB, My Cloud Personal Network, Attached Storage to create a common forum for friends and siblings to share photos. This help them remind each other of their best moments. It has sync software that keeps the content upgraded across many computers. Furthermore, backup systems help you retrieve your data in case they get lost accidentally.
- Sync software keeps the photos up-to-date.
- Easy to setup for both local and remote networks.
- You cannot plug into a computer.
6.Drobo 5N 10TB Network Attached Storage
Drobo is popular to manufacture reliable Best Network Attached Storage. Consider this device to enjoy available network storage array that has 64TB filesystem support. It comes with 5, each 2TB hard drives storage capacity. Exclusive DroboPix allows automatic upload of photos and videos from a mobile phone and tablet. Moreover, battery-backed memory safeguards against power interruptions. For greater performance up to 10X, the company includes mSATA SSD. Sadly, you have to buy mSATA card separately. Purchasing this NAS relieves you from worry that your files might loose your data. If you are a beginner or not in the field of Network Attached Storage, give a trial to this device. Am sure you will appreciate everything about it.
- Maximum storage capacity.
- Internal power supply prevents data loss in case of power failure.
- Failure of single drive affects the functionality of the whole system.
5.NETGEAR Ready 212 2-Bay Network Attached Storage
Bests Network Attached Storage often features sophisticated backup system. NET GEAR Ready 212 2-Bay Network Attached Storage is the suitable for personal cloud storage. Also, good for those who own 2x2TB Desktop HDD desktops. There are many reasons why you should consider this product. First, it features Quad-core Cortex A15 1.4GHz processor alongside 200MB per second read and 160MB per second write speeds. It comes with 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch SATA drives that support maximum storage of 16TB storage. The package includes Full HD 1080p wire for faster streaming and trans coding by multiple users. Link aggregation mode and modern BARFS systems ensure highest level of data protection. Enjoy Instinctive RAID protection against disk failure.
- Offers maximum protection.
- The advanced storage capacity of 16 TB.
- Only 3-years warranty on hardware.
4.WD My Cloud EX4100 Disk less Expert Series 4-Bay Network Attached Storage
With the growing the technology, most citizens opt for faster electronic storage devices. If that is what you are looking for too, then EX4100 Disk less Expert is your best option. Another good thing about this NAS is flexibility. It provides centralized storage pretty anywhere at any time. Design features dual Gigabit Ethernet ports that ensure network redundancy and efficient link aggregation. Store all your treasures such as photos, music, and videos in a reliable and performing solution. Moreover, multiple backup options safeguard the data against loss and damage. Comes with numerous RAID options. All you to do is power to customize the system with the best configuration.
- Transfers file faster.
- Come with various backup options.
- Unreliable customer compliance.
3.Buffalo Link Station 220 2 TB 2-Drive Network-Attached Storage
Buffalo Link Station 220 2 TB 2-Drive Network-Attached Storage comes one of the Best Network Attached Storage in 2019. With this device, many users connect to a host gigabit Ethernet. It has a total storage of 2 TB but capable of supporting up to 8 TB storage capacity. Simply, create personal cloud server storage and share the content at your own convenient time. Furthermore, you can easily stream videos and photos via UPnP linked devices. Easy to connect to any smartphone. This eliminates the need for computers. In-built Torrent simplifies files downloading and management. With the device, you will enjoy uninterrupted access.
- Accessible at our convenience.
- Backup systems ensure the safety of your files.
- Limited capacity.
2.FreeNAS Mini Network Attached Storage
For a manufacturing firm to claim that they engineer the Best Network Attached Storage, adequate storage capacity should of priority. Purchasing the Free NAS Mini Network Attached Storage is one of the critical decisions. It has four storage drives and a maximum capacity of 24TB. Fantastic quiet design that incorporates dual Gigabit Ethernet ports ensure highly efficient performance. Its engineering utilizes Free NAS software-based platform to ensure the storage performance. This software is rated the best all over the world for its great performance. Beyond performance, robust construction guarantees lifetime application alongside high reliability and low latency. Most businesses prefer this appliance for file distribution, media processing, home surveillance and data backups.
- Wide applications.
- Robust hardware to resist wear and tear.
- You have to monitor every month to avoid file disruption.
1.Synology DS216J 8-Terabyte Network Attached Storage
Here come another Best Network Attached Storage from Sinology. As a matter of fact, it features Hybrid RAID, RAID 0, RAID 1 and J BOD. Additionally, it has faster file transfer rate. In the case of power failure, there is little to worry about. Battery backed memory protects the data from interruptions. DS216J 8-Terabyte i SCSI Network Attached Storage with unique engineering to deliver the best file sharing. Most of the customers are happy from the time they open the box. There cannot compare elegance of the device with any other. Best for small office and home surveillance.
- Work as explained in the manual.
- It provides reliable customer service.
- Very expensive.
Advantages of Best Network Attached Storage over Direct Attached Storage and Network Attached Storage
- Network Attached Storage devices store data as files. Also, they support NSF and IFS protocols. Relevantly, the user can access the files easily over IP Ethernet based networks. These features allow it to support an array of users who connects to the network simultaneously.
- Entry level to Network Attached Storage is relatively cheap. The user can purchase for capacities such as 1 TB or 2 TB per two disks. Consequently, users mostly use NAS in small and medium business networks easily.
- These devices are versatile. They support one or more RAID levels to ensure disk failure does not cause data loss.
- Most Networks Attached Storage appliances comes with GUI-based web management console. For this reason, you can access it centrally and administer it from remote locations.
- Additionally, Network Attached Storage has backup software. Subsequently, backing up of critical data is never a problem with this of devices.
- Unlike SAN systems, no need of purchasing an expensive adapters. Instead, servers share a common Ethernet with Network Attached Storage appliances.
Disadvantages of Network Attached Storage over Storage Area Network
- You better store ERP, CRM systems together with Transaction-intensive databases in Storage Area Network. This is because SAN has low latency, faster, high level of security and reliable.
- Network Attached Storage consumes wide bandwidth. For this reason, you are to perform WAN optimization by deploying NAS solutions remotely to cover very limited scenarios.
- Network Attached Storage are prone to loss of Ethernet. Consequently, the IP performance and architecture are essential for effective implementation.